Ellis Island and Manhattan Waterfront - 1978

 

General view, looking east. Ellis Island, New York Harbor, New York County. Photographer Jack E. Boucher, 1978, for the U.S. Government.

Ellis Island was the primary port of entry into the United States for immigrants during the period 1892-1930s. The Ellis Island facility is located in New York Harbor on three small islands modified by successive building programs into one. From January 1, 1892 until June 15, 1897, the immigration station was housed in a variety of wood buildings which included a main building, a hospital, a laundry, a utility plant and a number of supporting outbuildings. Some of these support structures were former military buildings from the naval powder magazine previously located on the island.

Source: Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division.

 

New York

 

Antique photos of NYC

 

 

 

 

 

Ellis Island

 

 

Battery Park NYC

 

Great Hall

 

Immigrants Ellis Island

 

Governors Island map

 

NY harbor

 

Immigration Station NY

 

 

German immigrants

 

 

 

 

 

 

Copyright © Geographic Guide - 20th Century NYC.

 

 

 

Antique photographs

 

 

 

 

Ellis Island and Manhattan Waterfront - 1978