The Evening Mail on Park Row


The New York Evening Mail was a daily newspaper published in New York City, from 1867 to 1924, when it was merged with the Evening Telegram.

The newspaper was established in 1867 as the New York Evening Mail  and published under that name through 1877.

Lovejoy's HotelIn 1870, the Evening Mail moved to new headquarters in the 6-story building at 34 Park Row / 1 Beekman Street (illustration on the right), which previously housed the Lovejoy's Hotel, closed earlier that year. The building was owned by the Lorillard state. It had a front of about 100 feet on Park Row and about 50 feet on Beekman Street. The new lessee, Abner Lord Ely (1805-1871), a real state investor, had reformed the building to house offices and stores. The building also housed the Rural New Yorker. At the time, several buildings in the area were occupied by the publishing industry.

On January 1st, 1872, the newspaper began to publishing a weekly edition of the New York Evening Mail for family reading. Robert Johnston was the publisher. In 1877, the newspaper has undergone some name changes: New York Mail (November 1877 – November 1878), The Mail (through late 1879), Evening Mail (1879 - December 1881). In 1881, the owner Cyrus West Field acquired the New York Evening Express (founded by James and Erastus Brooks in June 1836), and created The Mail and Express.

In 1892, the Mail and Express Building, on Broadway and Fulton Street, was completed and the newspaper was removed to the new headquarters.

The Evening Mail building on Park Row suffered some damage in the January 1882 fire that destroyed the first Potter Building (and former home of the New York World).

In 2016, the six-story building at 1 Beekman Street was demolished to make way for a 23-story residential skyscraper at 33 Park Row, completed in 2021.



Park Row in 19th Century


Mail and Express Building


Printing House Square


Beekman Street NY


Park Row, looking north towards Printing House Square, about 1870. The Evening Mail is on the left, southeast corner of Beekman Street.


Evening Mail


Copyright © Geographic Guide - Old newspapers in NYC. 19th Century


Park Row 19th Century


Temple Court Building


Beekman Street


Printing House Square


The Evening Mail at 34 Park Row, main front on Beekman Street. Illustration published in the Publishers' and Stationers' Weekly Trade Circular, August 8, 1872.


Daily Times NY


The Evening Mail on Park Row


Park Row NYC