Union Park - 1849


Original title: "View of Union Park, New York, from the head of Broadway", looking north in 1849. Text on print: The Church of the Puritans, Revd. G.B. Cheever D.D. Pastor. The Spingler Institute, erected by the Family of the late Henry Spingler esq. and occupied by Abbott's Collegiate Institution for young ladies, Revd. Gorham D. Abbott. Principal. In the distance Calvary Church, on the extreme right, the Free Academy. Illustration drawn by James Smillie (18071885) and lithographers Sarony & Major. Published by Williams & Stevens. Source: Geographicus Rare Antique Maps. Some comments by Stokes (Iconography of Manhattan Island, ...1918), about this illustration, are below:

«The Spingler Institute and the Church of the Puritans are seen to the left. The latter site was occupied from 1870 to 1905 by Tiffany & Co., whose old building is still standing. The house on the north corner of 15th Street and Union Square was owned and occupied at this time by Anson G. Phelps, on a twenty-one years’ lease from the Spingler Estate, which still (1917) owns the property. The three houses north of this were the residences, respectively, of Samuel L. Mitchell, David Lee, and Richard L. Schieffelin. The large house on the north-west corner of Broadway and 17th Street was that of Robert Goelet, while the one on the opposite corner, with the conservatory, was the residence of Henry Parrish. The Union League Club, organised in 1863, occupied the Parrish house from May 12, 1863, to April 1, 1868, when it moved to the Jerome house on Madison Avenue and 26th Street. Within a few years after the publication of this view, all of the vacant lots in the block on 17th Street north of Union Park had been built upon. - A view of the park from the south-east, showing Broadway and the houses on 17th Street, was issued in coloured lithograph, in 1852, by Geib & Jackson; and a view of the north-west corner of 17th Street and Fourth Avenue, in 1856, is reproduced in Valentine’s Manual for 1857 (opp. p. 480) with a description of the park. This view shows the Everett House, on the north-west corner, next to which are the residences of Messrs. Muller, Henry Young, and "the late Daniel Parish." The Goelet House on 17th Street must not be confused with the Peter Goelet mansion on the north-east corner of Broadway and 19th Street, which stood, surrounded by trees and flowers, until 1896. A view of this old house with a description of its ownership will be found in Pelletreau’s Early New York Houses.

In the block between 16th and 17th Streets, on Fourth Avenue, at the period of the view, were the residences of Elihu Townsend, H. M. Schieffelin, W. K. Strong, R. S. Brooks, Edwin Stanford, and John Caswell. In the distance, on the north-east corner of 21st Street and Fourth Avenue, may be seen the spires of Calvary Church. The church is still standing, but the spires, which were twin skeleton-spires of wood, painted to match the building, have been removed.—See Putnam’s Mag. (1853), II:248. On the south-east corner of Lexington Avenue and 23rd Street appears the Free Academy, completed and opened in the spring of 1849.»


Union Park



Union Square



NY Nineteenth Century

Opposite view in the same year.


Union Square 19th Century


Union Park - 1849


Copyright © Geographic Guide - 19th Century in Manhattan - NY.




Old City New York