Union Square Area - 1940


Aerial photo shows Union Square Park (enlargement below) and surrounding area, looking north from about East 13th Street. Photograph dated March 26, 1940 (9 AM). Source: Records of the Army Air Forces, U.S. National Archives and Records Administration.

In 1928-1929, the park was excavated for the subway works and the park was renovated. The Independence Flagstaff in the center was dedicated on July 4, 1930 and Washington Monument was moved to the southern part of the park. Fourth Avenue, north of East 17th Street to East 32nd Street, became Park Avenue South in 1959.

The 16-story Bank of the Metropolis building, on the left, at 31 Union Square West, was designated a NYC landmark in 1988. The 16-story Everett Building, completed in 1908 on the corner of Fourth Avenue, was built on the site of the old Everett House, opened in 1853. The neoclassical Consolidated Edison Company Building at 4 Irving Place on the right, was constructed from 1911 to 1929.


Union Square Area




Union Square


Broadway NY


Union Square old


Union Square



Photo taken on the same day.


Union Square Area - 1940


Union Square NY


Copyright © Geographic Guide - 20th Century in Old Manhattan - NY.


Old City New York