Map of City Hall Park - 1852

 

 

City Hall Park map

 

City Hall Park in 19th Century

 

 

NYC

 

Map of the City Hall Park, Manhattan, in 1852. Additional text in red. Source: NYPL.

In 1842, the Croton Fountain was placed in the center of City Hall Park. The old Brick Church fronting Beekman Street was demolished in 1856. The site was then used to erect buildings mainly for the publishing industry, including for the New York Times. Later, part of Park Row became known as Newspaper Row. In 1858, the City Hall was partly destroyed by fire.

Below, fragment from the View of New York City and Brooklyn by John Bachmann (1814-1896), copyright 1850, showing the area around City Hall Park.

 

 

 

New York City Hall Park

 

 

Battery Map

 

Copyright © Geographic Guide - Old NYC, 19th Century.

 

Broadway NYC

 

Map of City Hall Park - 1852

 

Old City New York