Worth Monument and Madison Square - 1857

 

Ceremonies of dedication of the Worth Monument on November 25, 1857. A. Weingärtner's lithography, N.Y. Source: New York Public Library.

This area at the junction of Fifth Avenue and Broadway became the Worth Square and has served as a memorial and burial site of General William Jenkins Worth (1794-1849). Madison Square Park, created in 1847, is shown in the background. The Worth Monument was designed by James Goodwin Batterson. It  consists of a central, 51 foot-high obelisk of Quincy granite with decorative bands inscribed with battle sites significant in Worth’s career.

It is the second-oldest in New York City after the 1856 George Washington equestrian monument at the southern end of Union Square.

We can see in the background the vacant plot where the Jerome Mansion was erected on the corner of East 26th Street, from 1859 to 1865.

 

Worth Monument

 

Worth Square

 

 

New York NY

 

Old City New York

 

Nathan Hale

 

Worth Monument NYC

 

Worth Square

 

Buildings NY

 

East Side Madison Square

 

Madison Square NY

 

East 25th Street

 

Lincoln's Funeral Procession

Looking north from Broome Street.

 

Worth Monument and Madison Square - 1857

 

Copyright © Geographic Guide - Old NYC, 19th century.